The case for change
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust is facing a number of pressing local and national challenges that mean hospital services cannot stay as they are.
They must change and adapt to meet the rising needs and expectations of local people and the ever higher clinical standards and best practice demanded by a 21st century NHS.
Doctors, nurses and other health staff working in our hospitals have identified a number of challenges facing our services which require action. Click on the links below to read about each of these:
- Specialisation - click for overview
- Emergency care - click for overview
- Accident and emergency - click for overview
- Critical care - click for overview
- 24/7 diagnostic cover - click for overview
- Paediatric care - click for overview
- European Working Time Directive (EWDT) – click for overview
- The proposals at a glance – click for overview
For further information about the way in which these challenges were identified, click here to read about the background to the Seizing the Future review.
“It was obvious that all services could not safely be provided everywhere and that resources and senior staff were spread too thinly.”
Professor Sir George Alberti, National Clinical Advisory Team (NCAT) report – August 2008